Walking Tour - Parts can be included in Highlights of Washington Tours
Duration: 2 hours
A colorful early 20th century cosmopolitan neighborhood famed for its ethnic restaurants.
- Starting Point: Outside Wyoming apartment building, 2022 Columbia Rd. NW. (near junction with Connecticut Ave. NW).
- See where Dwight and Mamie Eisenhower lived for almost as long as they occupied the White House.
- See where newly-weds Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson rented a one-room apartment, and where Senator Harry Truman searched for digs. Compare investigative reporter Carl Bernstein's low rental during the Watergate scandal with the plush comforts he enjoyed with fame and fortune.
- Stand beside the humble birthplace of the founder of Toys R Us and visit locations of movies starring Clint Eastwood and Tom Cruise.
- Admire the pre-World War 1 luxury apartment building, home to notables from the captain of the battleship Maine that blew up at Havana to feminist leader Betty Friedan.
- Complete the walk along a stretch of dozens of ethnic and regional restaurants, around the corner from the home where North Pole explorer Admiral Robert Peary lived and died.
Cost: Group or private tours by appointment. Flat fee of $400. Maximum 35 people.