The Curse of Lafayette Square - In Front of The White House
Walking Tour - Parts can be included in Highlights of Washington Tours
Duration: 2 hours
- Starting Point: In front of Andrew Jackson equestrian statue, center of Lafayette Square, facing the north portico of the White House.
- See the White House, home to every president since George Washington, and burned by British troops.
- Cross to Blair House, guest quarters for visiting royalty, presidents, and prime ministers, and where terrorists tried to gun down President Truman.
- Stroll around Lafayette Square, to the homes of the mad major who struggled with Lincoln's assassin, and the Congressman who raced across this square to shoot dead the son of Francis Scott Key.
- See the 1819 mansion, once home to naval hero Commodore Stephen Decatur, who died of wounds in a duel. Pass by St. John's "The Presidents" Church, where every chief executive since James Madison has worshipped. Look at the handsome mansion built by a man who lost his fortune, and where the borders between the US and Canada were negotiated.
- Amble past the hallowed home where beloved Dolley Madison lived and died, while her scoundrel son squandered her money.
Cost: Group or private tours by appointment. Flat fee of $400. Maximum 35 people.